Reports indicated that 50 students sustained burns and were taken to Metropolitan hospital in Buruburu.
Fire engines and police officers rushed to the scene in a bid to contain the situation.
The hospital’s CEO, Kanyenje Gakombe, confirmed to the media that the students inhaled smoke while trying to put out the fire.
“We received 50 young men reported to have been in a fire incident at their school. They tried to put out the fire and in the process inhaled the smoke. Most of them have sustained injuries due to smoke inhalation,” he stated.
Gakombe noted that a few of the students would need admission at the hospital for 24 hours for checkups- but he confirmed that all the students were currently out of danger.
The CEO noted that they received calls for assistance from other hospitals in order to cater to the students.
“Some students have been moved to MP Shah, Nairobi Women’s hospital, and Avenue hospital,” Gakombe affirmed.
More to follow