According to a video that surfaced online on Tuesday, February 18, Commander Silas Gichunge explained that rumours about the technicalities of the case may force the police to free the man, Patrick Ayoyi.
The police are yet to ascertain if the clip was recorded in 2017 and if that is the case, it then follows that the woman is now 20 years old.
This, therefore, means that for the case to proceed, the decision lies with the girl and she has to launch a complaint, without which there won’t be a case for the suspect to answer.
Patrick Ayoyi – the man said to have shared a video of himself sexually assaulting a minor on social media on Sunday, February 16.
In an attempt to verify the girl’s age, officers from the Child Protection Unit visited Kipkelion Girls High School where she schooled to ascertain her age.
“Currently what we have done is, the officers have gone to Kipkelion Girls because we wanted to know the actual age of the girl. When we get that information, we are going to tell you what we are going to do.
“For now, we have the suspect and without verifying the age of the girl, our hands are tied so far. The information we have so far, we can not accuse anybody of rape unless there is a complaint from the girl,” he explained.
Gichunge had earlier stated that the suspect had been arrested while in his house in Nyagacho estate in the outskirts of Kericho Town.
The case is being handled by both the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) and the regional police department in Kericho.
On Monday, February 17, a former employer of the suspect told reporters that Ayoyi worked at Kericho Booksellers between 2000 and 2009 before leaving.
“Patrick at work was just a normal worker. He did what he was asked to do. He performed the duties he was asked,” Hirawalsha, the former boss, noted.
The suspect will be arraigned in court on Tuesday, February 18.