The Nairobi Deputy Governor Anne Kananu unveiled the program on Saturday, April 17 – and noted that thousands of Nairobi residents were facing multiple economic difficulties mostly occasioned by the lockdown and the pandemic.
â€œAs a county we have picked about 25,500 households that are desperately in need of food, and will offer them assistance for the next three months,â€ she said.
According to Kananu, over 127,500 vulnerable households had been identified, and were all set to benefit from the program after additional evaluations..
â€œThis population includes the most vulnerable; Women, People Living with Disability, those living with HIV and other chronic diseases,â€ said Anne Kananu.
According Kananu, the program will be spread across 17 sub-counties.
The county boss also stated that the county had received Ksh 1.3 billion for pending bills and another Ksh 2.8 billion for county operations from the national government.
The program is set to run from April through to July 2021.
Nairobi County will be donating 130 tons of wheat flour and maize, 60 tons of rice and 50 tons of sugar.
The county will also give out blankets and other items that the programâ€™s committee will continue to identify.
The program will be handled by Nairobiâ€™s Chief Officer for Disaster Management Mohamed Sahal with the assistance of his deputy Brian Kisali and the County Executive Member Winfred Gathagu.
Mohamed Sahal said that they had developed a strategy in which the goodies will be distributed from door to door in order to avoid the spread of Covid-19 infections.