“We shall release the money next week to schools and therefore no one should try to cause panic or anxiety,” he stated.
The ministry had released Ksh 4.6 billion for primary schools and Ksh 14.6 billion for secondary schools when they reopened in January. However, the ministry clarified that the cash released earlier was 25 percent of the total amount meant to cater for the first term.
The breakdown of funding for free education is split in the 50:30:20 ratio to cater for the first, second, and third term respectively.
School heads were blaming the government for withholding funds stating that it would hinder school operations.
They further said that it caused delays in purchasing chemicals and apparatus for science practicals as listed by the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC)
Kenya school Heads Association Chair Kahi Indimuli had earlier noted that prolonged delays in the disbursement of funds would hinder thousands of candidates from sitting the practical exams.
“As we speak, schools do not have money. The government promised to release the final tranche of 25 percent by the end of February,” he said last week.
Over 750,000 candidates are expected to sit for the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education set for March 22, 2021. The ministry has put measures in place to ensure the smooth running of the exams and to curb cheating. In addition, the Teachers Service Commission recalled teachers who were on leave to aid in the administration of the examination.