From elevated technological systems to rise in literacy levels, the country, whose literacy level stands at 82 per cent, has had notable gains.
What many Kenyans cannot fathom however, are the 10 oldest schools on which the entire fabric was created from.
Here are Kenya’s oldest schools that were founded before the year 1920.
School at Rabai near Mombasa established 1846.
The Church Mission Society missionaries Ludwig Kraft and Johannes Rebman interacted with locals in the coastal town of Mombasa and set the earliest mission school in the country at Rabai in 1846.
Nairobi School established 1902.
First known as the Prince of Wales school, this school located at westlands was set up by british workers who settled in Nairobi after construction of the Uganda railway. Notable alumni are former Vice president Musalia Mudavadi and MP Paul Otuoma .
Friends School Kaimosi, now Kaimosi Friends Primary School, established in 1903.
The school was established in 1903 as the Friends Africa Industrial Mission by the quaker missionaries of the United States, who left South Africa to spread Quaker mission activities in East Africa. The school caters for both day and boarding students.
Maseno School, established in 1906.
It was established in 1906 by the Missionaries of the Church Missionary Society (CMS) as a school for the children of African chiefs. The first 6 students of this school were sons of African chiefs. Notable alumni include Barack Obama Sr and former Vice President Oginga Odinga among others.
Government Indian School or The Duke of Gloucester School, now Jamhuri High School, established 1906.
Jamhuri High School formerly known as Government Indian School and later The Duke of Gloucester school is one of the oldest schools in Kenya. It was founded as a Railway Educational Center In 1906 before Kenya’s Independence from the British. Notable alumni of this institution are Governor Alfred Mutua and former citizen news anchor Jackson Mwakazi.
Tumutumu Mission School, now Tumutumu Girls’ High School established in 1908.
Tumutumu Girls High is in Nyeri County (Mathira Constituency).Tumutumu Girls High is a girls boarding secondary school.
European Girls’ School, now Kenya High School established 1908.
The Kenya High School is a public girl’s high school located in Kileleshwa suburb in Nairobi.
The school was established in 1908 as the Kenya European Girls’ High School. It was renamed to The Kenya High School upon independence in 1963. Notable alumni are Ester Arunga and lawyer Esther Nyaiyaki.
Thogoto School, now Thogoto Teachers’ Training College, established 1910.
Thogoto School was founded in 1910 at Kambui Mission in Kiambu by the Church of Scotland Mission (now PCEA) .The College now trains P1 grade teachers who are form 4 (KCSE) leavers.
Kaimosi Girls High School, established 1920.
Kaimosi Girls High School is a Girlsâ€™ only boarding school, located in Vihiga County; in the Western region of Kenya.